One of the best and easiest things we can do at the moment to increase our immune strength in the wake of the coronavirus is to make sure we have a nutrient dense diet. A diet rich in essential minerals and vitamins.
While it’s important to have them all, Vitamin C is one of the main nutrients to increase to support your immune system.
Did you know that some of the richest foods in vitamin C are Broccoli, Cauliflower and Kale??
After a while I know greens and veggies in general can become a bit bland especially when we lose creativity on how to incorporate them in our meals.
So what to do if you know your body needs some more greens (ps: it always does) but you have 0 motivation or envy of eating them? Find ways to sneak them in your dishes.
Remember they come with a mountain of benefits such as increased fibre, antioxydants, vitamins, minerals they are essential for our beautiful bodies so a little extra goes a long way.
Aim to have at least 6portions (handfuls) a day but if you can do more, even better!!
1. Smoothies and juices- This is a fairly straight and easy one. The great thing with smoothies and juices is that you keep your food raw and maintain a max of nutrients. When it comes to juices, they are great as well but I always opt for smoothies as I get to eat the vegetable whole and get even more out of it especially the fibre part
2. Dips: this is possibly my favourite one because I love dips so much and hiding greens in them is easy peasy. One of my favourites is Peas, Avocado, Spinach, Olive Oil and salt. This broad bean dip one is a good one as well, and you can add some spinach easily.
3. Courgetti. Use courgetti as a base instead of noodles
4. Curries and Casseroles: Adding handfuls of spinach, kale or collard greens to a gorgeous coconut curry at the end of the cooking process is always a winner. You preserve some nutrients and add some vibrant colour to your dish.
5. Tarts. tarts are delicious anytime of the year/ add plenty of greens before adding cheese on top 😉 My favourite summer tart is asparagus tart… check my recipe here x